Searching Beyond the Paid

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What I'm Thankful For - SEM Edition

I know it's kind of hokey, writing a "thankful" post for Thanksgiving, but I'm doing it anyway. Over the past couple of months, there have been times that I've let the stress of everyday living overshadow all the blessings in my life, so it's time to right things around.

A Great Job

I don't say it often enough: I'm thankful for a great job at Fluency Media that allows me to learn and grow every single day. We're not a huge company, so I get to be involved in almost everything we do - and that helps me learn. My co-workers are a diverse group of super-smart digital marketers, and that makes us all better at what we do.

Great Clients
I don't talk about our clients a lot - I'm not usually a proponent of violating NDAs. That said, I'm thankful for our great Fluency Media clients, who challenge us with their toughest marketing problems. They are truly partners, and they make our jobs fun!

A Great Career

I've written about how I got started in SEM - it was almost a fluke, really. Yet I'm continually grateful to be a part of this ever-changing industry. It's a true blessing to have a career that's really fun - it makes work seem, well, more like fun than work.

Great Friends In The Industry

Back when I was getting started in SEM, I was an avid reader on many search engine forums, including the Search Engine Watch forums. I read every newsletter I could get my hands on, from experts like Jill Whalen and Andrew Goodman. I was shocked when these esteemed experts replied personally to the questions I asked on the forums! I was dumbfounded when they actually took the time to talk to me at search marketing conferences! It felt like hanging out with rock stars. Nowadays, I count many of those same experts among my closest friends in the industry. There are many more that I've met on Twitter and have yet to meet in real life - yet they fall into the same "great friends" category. I'm thankful to have such a great network of friends who really love to help each other out.

An Unbelievably Awesome Family

I don't write about my family much either - I believe some things should be private. But I'm forever thankful most of all for them: my husband of 18 years, and my super-awesome 13 year old twins. Teenagers are challenging, yet my kids astound me every day with their insight and thoughtfulness. I am truly blessed this Thanksgiving.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home